Earlier this week, A Ransomware named WannaCry or WannaCrypt0r, Wana Decrypt0r, WCRY started hitting the world of Windows powered computers and attacked more than 114,000 systems in just 24 hours.
What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is a special kind of malwares which can be deployed in your computer and then it will encrypt all your data ,I.e, It will make all your data secured with a password but it will give you the password only if you pay the attacker money in Bitcoins. And currently 1bitcoin=1772.68 US Dollar or 113628.79 Indian Rupee.
What Exactly Happened?
Some Cyber Criminals used NSA’s leaked Windows exploit called EternBlue which was dumped by ShadowBokers hacking group last month, And they hacked some companies and deployed this Ransomware and this resulted in cancer like spreading of this Ransomware all over the world. There is no doubt that it had hit the Indian cyberSpace too.!
The following Ransomware works as similar to most of the Ransomware i.e, It Encrypts the files and asks money to decrypt the files. And reportedly one of the victim was asked $300 through bitcoins to decrypt the files. And It also installs a backdoor named DOUBLEPULSAR in your computer so that in future they can hack your computer easily.!
Spreading Like Cancer.!
After few hours, This Ransomware found in more than 50,000 computers over 149+countries, And it had already shut down 6 major hospitals in US and 80% of Spanish telecom firms were found with this ransomware.
How to Protect Your Computer?
1. Do not open any attachment unless until u know that is from known sources. Please apply this patch immediately to all endpoints. Follow this link .
2. Disable SMB from your computer. Steps : Control panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows features On or Off ->Uncheck SMB
3. Keep your Antivirus Updated.
4. Install Cybereason RansomFree program to prevent yourself from these kind of attacks. Download here.
5. Make sure your software is up-to-date.
6. Have a pop-up blocker running on your web browser.
7. Regularly backup your files to External harddrive and while backing up stay offline and never connect External Harddisk when you are online.
8. If your PC gets attacked there may be chances of your Harddisk getting encrypted too.
|Please Read Me!.txt (Older variant)|
Finally all we have to say is please be safe, Keep on updating your Antivirus and Operating systems, Never open attachments from unknown mails. Be secure and we are wishing you a safe cyberspace